Monday, March 28, 2022

New (old) Relatives!! (Just Kidding Diane and Denny!)

 


We made it to Amarillo just fine!  This past Saturday, Road Hog and I, (and Tully), went to the hotel where Cindy and Aunt Jackie were staying. Some of Aunt Jackies, (and my dad's) cousins came to visit!!  How cool is that?  Diane and Denny (Deaver) are my Aunt Jackies and my dad's first cousins, which makes them my second cousins.  First time meeting them for Cindy and I !!!



And to celebrate this historic event, Diane bought barbecue for everyone, for lunch!  How sweet was that?  It was so fun talking to them about Papa Deaver, his brothers, (My Aunt Jackie's uncles), and just about everyone else.  Deaver is a big name in Amarillo!  Lots of relatives!  




It had been awhile since Aunt Jackie has seen her cousins, and talk about some chatter boxes!  Now you know that us Deaver's come by it honestly!

Denny and Diane, thanks so much for meeting us!  It is always so nice to meet new family members.  Diane, thanks again for a great lunch!  We owe you one, and we will contact you when we come through Amarillo again. 




We then went to a couple of cemeteries to visit some more relatives.  So many of them have passed on and we wanted to pay our respects.

Up above is Lucy Shackelford.  She is my great grandma.  My grandma Sylvia was her daughter.  My dad, Bennie, is Sylvia's son and Aunt Jackie is her daughter.




This is my grandpa.  Papa Deaver.  My dads, and Aunt Jackie's dad.  He and my Aunt Jackie sent for Cindy and I back in 1967 to live with Aunt Jackie for a year.  I remember Papa's funeral.  He was captain of police force here in Amarillo.  Papa was married to Sylvia and had two kids then divorced.  (Grandma, now everyone knows!). Once they were divorced, Papa married Granny.




Granny had no kids, but treated Aunt Jackie and dad like they were hers.  She treated Papa's grandkids like her own too.  She was a beautiful woman.  I remember spending the night at papa's and granny house, with Aunt Jackie and Uncle Mo, and my cousins and sister.  Fun times.  Papa even took us to visit the police station.




Here are some more Deaver's.  Bert and Kathy were Diane and Denny's mom and dad.




Isaac Deaver is my Papa's dad.  We have a lot of Benjamin's in our family.  And I love the name Isaac.




Fenie was Isaac's wife, my Papa's momma.  

I have so many photos of the Deaver side of the family, but I won't bore you.  




This house was where my Papa and Granny lived.  It is a two bedroom, and there was a screened in back porch where my Papa took us kids and showed us that it was not scary during a thunder and lightening storm.  




Now it is on to Santa Rosa.  Look at the traffic in Amarillo!  And blue sky!



Crossing over to New Mexico.  Does everyone know what this means?  OMG!!!!  We have to go an hour behind!  I think!  Does anyone know what time it is?  What time do I feed Tully?  By the time I get up to the north west, I won't know what time it is!  And, as soon as we crossed the line, we immediately noticed that the roads need work.  Lots of work!  I better check the fuses in our home!




You know, traveling like we do, we meet a lot of different people.  Usually the people that run the RV camps are very nice, very accommodating, and just plain helpful.  But this time I am posting a very nasty RV park.  The park wasn't nasty, it was a guy named Chris who made it nasty.  Let me tell you what this guy needs....PEOPLE SKILLS.  If you don't have this, why have a business?  And why have a business that you have to deal with customers?  Do not give this guy your business!  This is Santa Rosa Campground and RV Park!!  Do not spend your hard earned money here!


What you can do is spend your money here at Ramblin Rose!  We had reservations at Santa Rosa Campground, and we decided that it wasn't the campground that we wanted, or needed.  I called Ramblin Rose and she immediately said to come on over.  (1 1/2 miles away!). She is located on Vaughn Hwy, 54 (South) 602 Black St. Santa Rosa, New Mexico.
Like I said, we have always have met the nicest people.  We give reviews and we tell the truth.  If you are in business, and you have to deal with the public, you need skills!  Lots of skills!  😂





OK, now that I am done being on my soap box, where do we eat lunch?  Or is it now dinner?  We decided on Silver Moon Cafe.  It is a Historical Landmark.  From 1959.  




Road Hog decided on chicken enchiladas, with blue corn tortillas.




I had chicken strips, with fries.  You don't get ketchup or ranch with this, you get white country gravy for dipping!

We are here until Wednesday, then we are traveling on to Gallup, New Mexico.











No comments:

Post a Comment