Friday, October 15, 2021

City of Rocks !


 What a nice day!  We went up to Rock City City of Rocks.  (Even though I think Rock City sounds so much more interesting!) This is also the California Trail.  (Like the Oregon trail, but called the California trail!)



The views were awesome!  A little bit of snow, a little bit of sun...and not very many people.



Getting to City of Rocks we passed a lot of huge ranches....ranches hundreds of acres big.  And lots of cattle.  I know this photo only shows a handful of cattle, but believe you me, there were thousands more.  Honest!




 There were thousands of people that walked thousands of miles on this trail.  This was between 1848 and 1869.  The trail, in fact, was made way before then, by the trappers and the Indians.



I have heard so much about the Oregon trail, and I didn't realize that there was another trail!  I'm sure there are more than these two, but one sure doesn't hear about them.  I can't imagine going across this land in a covered wagon.  Or even homesteading out there....it had to be pretty rough!



This area is so pretty! 




Someone by the initials of JHH lived here. 



The date above the door is March 29th, 1909.  I wonder how long this family lasted?



 This particular rock was called camp rock.  It was a good place to camp, get out of the wind and weather, and write your name and date as high as you could reach.



Some of these names has some pretty old dates!



Some of the names I'm not able to pronounce....but then again, whats new?  😁



Tully did pretty good.  Even though she had a tough night, she is pretty much back to her old self.  She didn't have to do a lot of hiking, only getting out to pee on some rocks.



Some of these rocks are pretty huge.  And what we can make out, some of these rocks are granite.  The picture above I wanted to show you the climber at the bottom middle of the photo.  One climber is already pretty high, towards the top.



One climber made it to the top on another rock.


This rock was pretty cool.



This was the highest we went.  It was at least 60 degrees up here, and yet there still was snow.



This photo of the climber made my belly flop.  Never will you catch me on a rock like this.  Ewww no way Jose!



Here is what we passed on the way home.  Piles and piles of potatoes!  And this was just a couple of small piles, there were so much more that we passed.  And the fields were so busy with the equipment digging more potatoes and bringing them in.

I know todays blog is photo overload, so I will be adding a couple more on tomorrows entry.  I bet you can hardly wait....




No comments:

Post a Comment