Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Montana State Prison

 

Today we went to the old prison.  We also hit a couple of museums, and I took a lot of photos.  This will probably take a couple of days to show you!



Here is the photograph booking room.  This stuff is so old!



I’ve heard of these shoes, but really didn’t believe that they even existed.  Click on the photo to read about the cement shoes.


Toilet paper rope.  Living in my fifth wheel I have to ask…was it one or two ply?


Here are just some of the shanks and weapons found.  The inmates were so creative!



The prison was built in 1871.  



Some 22 caliber rifle shells fell out of some stool tops.  Read the story by clicking on the photo.


Now I know the next two photos won’t interest a lot of people but I took these for Gene.  The above photo was the electrical box in the women’s area of the prison. 



And this electrical box was in the big house.  Looks like a mess to me but maybe Gene can fill me in on the going on!  




OK, story telling time! After going through the prison, we went across the road to a hobby store.  Everything in this store is made by inmates.  Let’s go shopping! 



I said to Road Hog, I will buy something small just to help someone out.  I bought a bracelet, meanwhile we were talking to the cashier.  The cashier told us that the inmates use their own money to buy the stuff like leather to make these things, and they do their own pricing.  Some of this stuff was very expensive….belts, bridles for horses, beaded things, etc.  Lots of stuff.  Above is the receipt that I was given for my bracelet.  As we were walking out the door, I told Road Hog “Gosh, I hope the bracelet I bought wasn’t made from a murderer. “  

Well, guess what?  I looked up the inmate when we got home.  Now believe you me, if I would have known that I bought something that was made by someone in prison for Deliberate Homicide, I wouldn’t have bought it!  I don’t want to support anyone that has killed and in prison for life!  But then I thought, maybe the money goes to the victim’s family?





I do want to say one other thing….if any of you receive a bracelet from me, please don’t ask any questions…Just take the damn thing and be happy!


Tomorrow is a day for us to relax.

I will continue on with photos from the museums.



No comments:

Post a Comment