Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Extraterrestrial. Area 51. Phone Home. Beam Me Up Scotty!

 


We got on the road at 8:15 this morning.  We changed things up a bit and canceled our reservations at Tonopah, and made reservations at Mina.  We just thought we could put more time on the road, and we did. Highway 375.  Does it ring a bell?  What about a couple of bells?




We are traveling on the Extraterrestrial Highway.  (Never ask me to say Extraterrestrial!!). Miles and miles of nothing.  Well wait.  What is that in the sky?  A flying saucer?  No.  I think the windshield is dirty.  Yes.  That is what it is.  Road Hog needs to clean the windshield.




Every once in a while I had to make sure we still had our home behind us.  One never knows on highway 375.




There wasn't a whole lot to see.  Lots of desert.  Pictures of ET.  Kind of sketchy on this highway.




And once again, hardly any traffic.  Where is everyone?




Miles and miles of just nothing.  




Do we need to be reminded of what highway we are on?




And just like that, out in the middle of no where, there is a lake.  




The hills around us sure are pretty though.




I think this could have been a ghost town.  I would have loved to stop and explore but we have animals that need to get home.





Our canceled reservations were in the town of Tonopah.  I am so glad we changed!  Do you know what we passed?  Ewww....




A 'Clown' Motel.  I know some of you like clowns...(My Aunt Jackie for one), but clowns are something I could just not get in to. And a motel?  Honestly, it looked just like Bates Hotel.  Ewww.  I would not be able to sleep a wink in this place.  Now is the time I would say Beam me up Scotty!  😂



So, we are now in the small town of Mina.  No gas stations, no restaurants, no grocery stores.  But there is a RV park, and lots of mining going on.  We got set up, made the cats comfortable, and Road Hog wanted to go into the town of Hawthorne to fill up on diesel.  I was so tired watching him drive all those hours and didn't want to go, but I talked it over with Tully and we decided to accompany him.  I do want to note that Hawthorne is 30 miles away.




Do you notice anything about the above photo?




X marks the spot.  How weird is that?  Is the X there because we are nearing what Hawthorne is famous for?




Hawthorne Nevada's nickname is 'America's Patriotic Home'.  It is home to 2,427 artillery storage bunkers lining the surrounding hills and land.




It is the worlds largest artillery storage facility and has been since World War ll.  (You might need to click on the photo to see the bunkers better!)




This was amazing to see!  The Depot covers 147,000 acres, or 226 sq. miles.  The World's Largest Depot is divided into three ammunition storage and production areas, plus an industrial area housing command headquarters, facilities engineering shops, etc.

Hawthorne Army Depot stores reserve ammunitions to be used after the first 30 days of a major conflict.  As such, it is only partially staffed during peacetime, but provision has been made to rapidly expand staffing as necessary.  I wonder if they ever hold an open house?  I would love to visit the bunkers!



No comments:

Post a Comment